CITIZENS COMPASS— Suspected gunmen have killed three worshippers and abducted 15 others at a prayer ground in Ekiti Local Government Area of Kwara State.
The attack reportedly occurred on Saturday night at Ori-Oke Ajaiye, located on the outskirts of Ikiran Village in the Ikerin/Ajuba axis of the local government area of the State.
Spokesperson, Kwara State Police Command, Adetoun Ejire-Adeyemi, confirmed the incident in a statement.
Residents said the attackers stormed the area in large numbers, targeting worshippers and villagers before escaping through surrounding forest routes.
A resident, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said many families spent the night searching for missing relatives after the attack.
“People were running in different directions because of the gunshots. Some families could not even find their relatives until this morning,” the resident said.
The spokesperson described the attack as gruesome and condemnable.
“The Kwara State Police Command strongly condemns the gruesome attack, killing, and abduction of innocent worshippers by armed criminals at Ori-Oke Ajaiye, located on the outskirts of Ikiran Village in the Ekiti Local Government Area of Kwara State,” the statement read.
According to the police commissioner, the incident was reported by Pastor Adebayo Abiodun of Ijo Ajaye Ati Igbala, who was conducting a night vigil when the gunmen invaded the prayer ground.
“While conducting a night vigil alongside members of his congregation at Ori-Oke Ijaye via Ekerin village, armed hoodlums invaded the prayer ground, firing sporadically,” he said.
Ojo confirmed that three persons were killed while 15 others were abducted to an unknown destination.
“Upon receipt of the distress report, the Divisional Police Officer, Ekiti Division, immediately mobilised operatives to the scene,” he added.
The police commissioner said a coordinated rescue operation involving multiple tactical units had been launched to secure the release of the abducted victims and arrest the attackers.
“A comprehensive tactical and intelligence-driven operation involving the Police Drone Team, PMF personnel, Intelligence Units, and other operational assets has been deployed for a coordinated rescue mission,” he noted.
He assured residents that the police command remained committed to restoring security in the affected communities.
“The command is fully committed to ensuring the rescue of all victims and the apprehension of the perpetrators behind the heinous act,” he promised.
Ojo also said security operatives had intensified bush combing and intelligence gathering efforts across the area.
“Vigorous efforts are ongoing, including bush combing, intelligence gathering, and coordinated security operations to track down the assailants and bring them to justice,” the statement added.
The latest incident comes amid repeated attacks on worship centres in Kwara South.
Meanwhile, the Edo State Police Command has rescued all 13 passengers abducted by suspected kidnappers along the Benin-Lagos Expressway.
Spokesperson for the command, ASP Eno Ikoedem, disclosed this in a statement on Saturday.
—The Witness


