CITIZENS COMPASS —An explosion occurred in a Lagos market destroying many shops and other property in the Ikotun area of Lagos, on Saturday, December 23, 2023.
This occurred at about 2.10p.m. at 2nd Junction, Governor Road, Council Bus Stop, Ikotun, Lagos
According to information gathered by Citizens Compass, a gas cylinder was in use in one of the shops when its content reportedly leaked and resulted in the explosion that spread to other shops and ravaged them.
However, Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service alongside other emergency agencies in the State were at hand to battle the explosion.
The Director of the Fire Service, Margaret Adeseye confirmed the incident.
She put the number of the affected shops at seven saying, “Shops on Fire at a Market at Council Bus Stop which resulted from leakage of a gas cylinder in use at one of the shops which led to an explosion and spread to several other shops.
“The Fire has been put under control as dampening down pockets of Fire in process.
“Ejigbo and Isolo Fire Stations of the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service alongside LASEMA, LNSC and Nigerian Police Force from Ikotun Division were in attendance, “
She attributed the cause of the incident to “Negligence from refilling the gas cylinder.“
The Director said the incident did not record casualties.