CommunityGeneral News

Four siblings die in Ikorodu fire outbreak

TRAGEDY struck in Oke-Oko, Isawo area of Ikorodu, Lagos State, after four siblings were lost to a fire outbreak in the area.

The inferno which gutted a two-room apartment occurred at about 1pm on Sunday, June 26, as one of the children, Jeremiah, 12, died on the spot.

The three other siblings: Prayer, 18; Trust in God, 14; and Ebube, 10, sustained severe burns and were rushed to a hospital, where they died a few days later.

It was gathered that their parents Chukwudi Michael and Bolani Michael, slept in a separate room with their eight-year-old surviving daughter, Esther.

The fire was said to have engulfed the room where the four boys slept.

Chukwudi said he woke up to the scream of one of his children, who was calling for help.

He said, “After waking up, I alerted neighbours who helped me to break the windows of the boys because their door was locked. We were able to rescue three of the boys from the fire, but one had already been burnt to death.

“We rushed them immediately to a hospital with the help of a neighbour’s car, but we eventually lost them.”

The 46-year-old noted that men of the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service only came in the morning when the fire had been put out by neighbours.

Spokesperson, Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service, Amodu Shakiru, stated that the fire was put out by firefighters, adding that five persons were rescued.

He said, “We rescued five persons and recovered the burnt body of a teenager.”

The couple noted that they were oblivious to how the fire started as anything that could start the fire had been put off.

Both husband and wife also sustained varying degrees of burns, which they were treating at the Lagos State University Teaching Hospital, Ikeja.


– The Punch

Related Articles

Back to top button