Suspected cultists dies in Police custody 

… It is not our fault —Spokesperson 


CITIZENS COMPASS — A suspected cultist, Oduyiga Seyi, has died in the custody of the Ogun State Police Command. 

The deceased was said to have died after he was allegedly tortured by the Operatives. 

However, spokesperson of the Command, Omolola Odutola, in a statement on Sunday, November 26, 2023, denied complicity in the death.  The 39-year-old father of three, was reportedly arrested in connection with a rival cultists’ clash in Sagamu, where over 20 people were killed in September 2023.

The victim’s younger sister, Mary, explained that, “On Saturday, November 18, around 5pm, my brother went out to charge his phone around his house on the same street.

“There was no electricity; a neighbour put on a generator and he went there to charge his phone. His house is at Atoyo in Sagamu. He sat under the tree in front of the house where he was charging his phone and took off his clothes due to the heat.

” He saw a team of policemen on patrol, and he attempted to run away but fell down and was arrested. He was taken to Awolowo Police Station along with one other person.

”The police accused him of being a member of a cult, but he denied it. They took his picture and sent it to some suspected cultists who denied knowing him.

The police said he would not be released because he had tattoos on his body, whereas the tattoos were Psalm 23.

“He wrote the verse of the Bible on his body, drew the two hands of Jesus supplicating on his chest with the inscription: ‘Only God can judge me’. He also wrote on his neck: ‘The day I will never forget’ dated ‘April 7, 2014’.

Mary hinted that the family would brief lawyers in order to file a petition to seek justice for her brother’s death

Reacting, the spokesman of the command, Omololoa Odutola, admitted that the suspect died in a police cell, but said he was not tortured.

She disclosed this on Sunday, November 26, 2023, in a statement marked, AZ:5310/OGS/PRO/VOL.7/223               26/11/2023

It reads, “It is a fact of public knowledge that Sagamu town witnessed a series of cult clashes where 5 rival cultists were murdered.

“Following an intelligence report that suspected cultists on the wanted list of Ogun State Police Command, were within Atoyo area of Sagamu, on Saturday 18th November 2023, the police swung into action on a covert operation  where two suspected cultists were apprehended. Oduyiga Seyi Samson  “m” 39 years and Gbenga Adegoke ‘m’ notorious members of Buccaneer and Eiye confraternity were arrested.

“On Interrogation, both Seyi and Gbenga made a confessional statement to being members of the outlawed Buccaneer and Eiye confraternity Secret cult. Seyi confessed he was initiated in 2015. 

The Ogun State Police Command vehemently refutes that the deceased was tortured to death as it is being speculated in some online media.

“Ogun police command holds a strong commitment to upholding fundamental human rights laws, particularly when it comes to treatment of suspects. 

“Torture is strictly against our protocols and principles. Ogun state police command is well versed in the legal framework that safeguards the rights of individuals in custody, free from all forms of cruel, inhuman, or degrading treatment .

“For the records, the deceased was already charged for Cult related activities and he was taken to Court on Thursday, 23rd November 2023 where he was to be arraigned before a special Court on cultism case in Isabo Abeokuta, but the honourable Court did not sit, and he was brought back to Eleweran in Abeokuta the same Thursday. Seyi was to be taken back to the court at the next available day that the Court will sit, which is on Friday, 24th November 2023.

“However, on Friday, 24th November, at about 0500 hours, Seyi went berserk, shouting, bitting with teeth, and assaulted other suspects in the cell until he got exhausted.

“Other suspects in the cell alerted policemen on duty. He was taken to the police hospital and later to Ijaye General Hospital Abeokuta, along with other suspects he gave bites in the cell for medical treatment against infection.

” Other suspects were treated and discharged, but Seyi, while on medical attention, later gave up the ghost.

Every other allegation is hereby debunked as the accurate position is what has been stated above.

” As soon as the autopsy report about the deceased is out, the Police will give further details. However, the Commissioner of police, CP Alamutu Abiodun Mustapha, commiserates with the deceased family.. “


Related Articles

Back to top button