CommunitySecurity

3,900 Boko Haram fighters surrender to Nigeria, Cameroon

NO FEWER than 3,900 Boko Haram terrorists have surrendered to the government recently.

This was disclosed on Sunday, by Borno State Governor, Babagana Zulum.

He said 3,000 insurgents surrendered to Nigerian authorities, while, 900 surrendered to Cameroon.

Zulum made the disclosure on Sunday at a meeting with stakeholders including security agencies to deliberate on the development, 12 years after the Boko Haram insurgency began.

He said a team, comprising security agencies and other relevant organisations, had been constituted to profile the surrendered insurgents in line with international best practice.

The governor said over 200 farmers with their families held hostage by the insurgents were among those that surrendered.

They (insurgents) forced such farmers to farm while they buy the produce from them at subsidised rate.

“There are also under aged children and others conscripted by the insurgents,” Zulum explained.

Zulum said the forum should reach a common ground on how to handle the situation for lasting peace in the state.
At the meeting were the Theatre Commander of “Operation Hadin Kai”, Maj.-Gen. Christopher Musa, National Assembly members from Borno, Sen. Ali Ndume and Rep. Tahir Monguno.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button