Eko electricity workers electrocuted in Lagos


CITIZENS COMPASS -AN official with the Eko Electricity Distribution Company (EKEDC), 48 years old Sunday Awaruwa, was reportedly electrocuted while rescuing his co-worker, 51 years old Umaru, who was electrocuted in Obalende area of Lagos state.

The tragedy was said to have struck in the course of carrying out an official assignment.

The incident was confirmed by Spokesperson, Lagos State Police Command, SP Benjamin Hundeyin, on Sunday, May 21, 2023.

According to him, the case was reported to the Lion Building Division of the command by another official of EKEDC, at about 5.55 p.m. on Saturday, May 20, 2023.

He said the electricity worker reported that on Saturday, one of his colleagues simply identified as Umaru, aged 51, got electrocuted while digging to locate a faulty transformer cable at the P&T Obalende area.

He said:

In the process, another colleague named Sunday Awaruwa, 48 years old, who tried to rescue the victim was also electrocuted.

“Based on the report, detectives visited and photographed the scene, rescued the victims, and rushed them to the Lagos Island General Hospital, where they were confirmed dead by the doctor on duty.

” Their remains were deposited at a IDH Morgue, Yaba for autopsy. Meanwhile, investigation is in progress.”

Effort to get the reaction of Eko Electricity Distribution Company (EKEDC) was unsuccessful at press time.


Related Articles

Back to top button