By Emmanuel Udom
CITIZENS COMPASS —Most private schools and banks operating in various local government areas of Ogun State, on Wednesday, November 15, 2023, snubbed the nationwide strike embarked upon by the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) and Trade Union Congress (TUC).
However, it was noted that some public nursery, primary and secondary schools in the state, were rather cautious while requesting students to come to school.
Our correspondent, who monitored the situation observed that in Ifo, Sango Ota, Sagamu and Abeokuta that Adedokun International School, DWAT Home School, Unique International Schools, Evergreen International School, St Jacobs Schools, Access College, St George Foundation School, Alpha T International School, Astute Schools, were some of the schools that opened their doors for students to come in.
But, Pakoto High School, Methodist School, St Mary Anglican Primary and Secondary Schools did not open initially.
Founder of Evergreen International School, Shodimu Abdulkabir said they are law abiding, but must not sacrifice the future of the students on a strike, even as SO Safe Corps in various communities and Police have been contacted to ensure the protection of the lives and properties of students and school authorities.
Mrs Toyin Sulaiman, proprietress of De Achievers Group of Schools in her comment confirmed that her students were requested to come to school today, as local security outfits and police were contacted for the safety of students and staff of her school.
Recall that the Nigerian Labour Congress (NLC) and Trade Union Congress of Nigeria (TUC) in Lagos State, on Tuesday complied with the directive of the two labour unions to embark on an indefinite nationwide strike over the brutalisation of NLC president, Joe Ajaero.
Reports in Lagos State had it that the National Executive Council meeting of the labour unions, held on Nov. 13, 2023, in Abuja, had resolved to embark on the strike.
The decision was due to the alleged failure of the Federal Government to address issues affecting workers, such as the minimum wage, insecurity, corruption, and poor governance.
Also, both unions had made some demands, which the government had allegedly failed to address following the recent crisis in Imo that resulted in the alleged brutalisation of the NLC President, Mr Joe Ajaero, and other members of the labour unions.
Meanwhile, Citizens Compass reported that the government on Nov. 13, 2023, warned both unions against embarking on their planned strike action, saying it would amount to contempt of court.
The Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Mr Lateef Fagbemi, in a statement, said the government had obtained a restraining order from the National Industrial Court of Nigeria barring the unions from going ahead with the strike.
Similarly, the Secretary General, Nigeria Union of Railway Workers, Mr Segun Esan, said that the union was involved in the strike and no train was running as a result.
Therefore, all the workers of Nigerian Railway are duty-bound to join the nationwide strike action from zero-zero hour of Tuesday, 14th November, 2023 by staying back at home and away from their offices.
All the offices, stations, workshops, and entire premises of the Corporation remain locked and inaccessible from zero-zero hour of Tuesday, 14th November, 2023, till otherwise directed by the Congress,” Esan said in announcing compliance with the NLC, TUC strike over the brutalisation of Ajaero
Also, the President, Association of Senior Staff of Banks, Insurance and Financial Institutions, Mr Oluwole Olusoji, said advice had been sent out to members on compliance.
He said that members had been advised to ensure the safeguard of lives and property from people who might be used to take undue advantage of the situation.
We will continue to monitor the situation as it unfolds,
It will be recalled that on Tuesday, the workers shut down the National Assembly complex in compliance with the nationwide industrial action.
The strike is In protest of the attack on NLC President, Joe Ajaero, in Imo State.
Members of two Chambers and the Staff of the National Assembly, journalists and others were locked out as the entrances into the Complex were locked.
However, after hot arguments, the officials of Organised Labour opened one of the gates for reporters, during which few others struggled into the Complex.
At press time, the Chambers of the National Assembly were yet to be opened, creating the fears that plenary may not hold for a while.
An official of the Parliamentary Association of Nigeria (PASSAN), NASS Branch, told newsmen that the directive of the NLC on the ongoing strike action was being effected at NASS.
Recall that the NLC and Trade Union Congress of Nigeria (TUC) had directed its members to commence a nationwide strike over the assault on Ajaero, starting from midnight, Tuesday, November 14.
The Organised Labour said all its affiliate unions had been directed to implement the resolutions of the joint National Executive Council of TUC and NLC.
President of TUC, Festus Osifo, who addressed reporters on Monday, in Abuja, said the strike would remain until “governments at all levels wake up to their responsibility.”